Of the dishes I serve, this one gets some of the highest reviews. All the best of breakfast…in one dish. The great part is that you can prepare it the day before, and just pop it in the oven the next morning for a fabulous brunch entree that will have your guests begging for the recipe.
Ingredients: 2 c. water, 1/2 c. uncooked quick-cooking grits, 4 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, 4 eggs (beaten), 1 c. milk, 1/2 tsp. dried whole thyme, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 2 lbs. pork sausage (cooked, crumbled and drained).
- Bring water to a boil, stir in grits.
- Return to a boil: reduce heat & cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine (in a separate bowl) grits and cheese; stir until cheese melts.
- Combine eggs, milk, thyme and garlic powder; mix well.
- Add a small amount of hot grits mixture to egg mixture, stirring well.
- Stir egg mixture into remaining hot grits mixture.
- Add sausage, stirring well.
- Pour into a lightly greased 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish.
- Bake (uncovered) at 350 for 30 minutes or until set.
If you prepare it the day before, cover and refrigerate. When ready to bake, remove from fridge and let stand at room temp for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until set.
Serve with a side of fresh tomatoes and a sprinkling of fresh basil leaves from the garden…(hey, or Kroger’s basil works just fine!)